- If you arrived and stayed only a minute before you had to leave, this is an example of when youscarcely just arrived.
- If you have just enough food to feed your child but nothing extra, this is an example of when you hadscarcely enough.
- If all scientists agree on something likely to be true, this is an example of when they couldscarcely be wrong.
Scarcely is defined as shortly before or unlikely to be the case.
- hardly; not quite; only just
- probably not or certainly not: scarcely true
- By a small margin; barely: We scarcely made it in time.
- Almost not; hardly: We scarcely ever used the reserve generator.
- Certainly not: They could scarcely complain after such good treatment.
(comparative more scarcely, superlative most scarcely)