- The definition of barely is something that is just enough, with nothing left over.
If you have five dollars and lunch costs five dollars that is an example that you can barely pay for lunch.
barely definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- without covering or disguise; plainly: stating the unpleasant facts barely
- only just; no more than: barely enough to eat
- meagerly; scantily: a barely furnished room
barely definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- By a very little; hardly: could barely see the road in the fog.
- In a scanty manner; sparsely: a barely furnished room.