If you have five dollars and lunch costs five dollars that is an example that you can barely pay for lunch.
- without covering or disguise; plainly: stating the unpleasant facts barely
- only just; no more than; scarcely: barely enough to eat
- meagerly; scantily: a barely furnished room
- By a very little; hardly: could barely see the road in the fog.
- In a scanty manner; sparsely: a barely furnished room.
- (degree) By a small margin.
- (degree) Almost not at all.
- The plane is so far away now I can barely see it.
- Yes, it is barely visible.
- (archaic) merely.
- Compare You can find barely ever used items on eBay. with You can almost never find used items on eBay.
bare + -ly