The letter Q.
An example of q is the first letter in the word "question."
- the seventeenth letter of the English alphabet: via Latin from the early Greek koppa, a borrowing from the Phoenician
- any of the speech sounds that this letter represents, as, in English words, where it is typically followed by u (except in words borrowed from Arabic), the (kw) of queen or (k) of conquer
- a type or impression for q or Q
- the seventeenth in a sequence or group
- an object shaped like
- of q or Q
- seventeenth in a sequence or group
- shaped like
- Pharmacy every
Origin of Qq(uality factor)Electronics the ratio of energy stored to energy lost in a component or substance
Origin of QClassical Latin quadrans farthing
- Chess queen
- Rom. History Quintus (the praenomen)
nounpl. q's or Q's also qs or Qs
- The 17th letter of the modern English alphabet.
- Any of the speech sounds represented by the letter q.
- The 17th in a series.
- Something shaped like the letter Q.
- Q A hypothetical lost manuscript, consisting largely of sayings of Jesus, that is believed to have been the source of those passages in Matthew and Luke that bear close similarity to each other but not to parallel passages in Mark.
Origin of qSense 5, probably from German Q(uelle), source.
mosaic, Thanks-Giving Square
This mosaic graces a park in Dallas, Texas, designed by the architect Philip Johnson (1906–2005).
- a. quarter (of a year)b. quarterly
- Games queen
- also Q. quarto
- also q quintal
(lower case, upper case Q)
lower case (upper case Q)
- (sports) conditional qualification
q - Computer Definition
- One of the two letters, along with Z, that traditionally did not appear on a telephone dial or keypad. The thought was that Q could be confused with O, and that Z could be confused with 2. Q now appears with P, R, and S on number 7. Alphanumeric dialing was, and remains, a North American practice. Telephones in most other countries do not sport letters.
- Q interface or Reference Point Q in ISDN. See Reference Point Q.
q - Legal Definition