- the container in which the consecrated wafer of the Eucharist is kept
- a small container for carrying the Eucharist to the sick
- a box in a mint, in which specimen coins are placed until the test for purity and weight
Origin of pyxMiddle English pixe from Classical Latin pyxis from Gr, box from pyxos, the box tree
- Ecclesiastical a. A container in which wafers for the Eucharist are kept.b. A container in which the Eucharist is carried to the sick.
- A chest in a mint in which specimen coins are placed to await assay.
Origin of pyxMiddle English pyxe from Latin pyxis box from Greek puxis
- the small container used to hold the consecrated bread of the Eucharist
- A box used in the British mint as a place of deposit for certain sample coins taken for a trial of the weight and fineness of metal before it is sent from the mint.
- (nautical) The box in which the compass is suspended; the binnacle.
- (anatomy) pyxis