- The definition of a pry is a tool used for leverage for moving or raising something.
An example of pry is a crowbar used for opening a box that's been nailed shut.
- Pry is defined as to raise or move something with force, obtain something with effort or be very curious about something.
- An example of pry is using force to pull open a locked door.
- An example of pry is to get money away from a cheap person.
- An example of pry is pestering a friend to tell a secret.
- a tool for raising or moving something by leverage; lever, crowbar, etc.
Origin of pryback-formation ; from prize
- to raise, move, or force with a pry
- to draw forth or obtain with difficulty: to pry money from a miser
to look closely and inquisitively or inquire presumptuously; peer or snoop
Origin of pryMiddle English prien ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- the act of prying
- a person who is improperly inquisitive