proverbial[prə vʉr′bē əl]
- The definition of proverbial is something well-known or commonly referred to.
When someone always uses the same old excuse, over and over again until it becomes old news, this is an example of that person's proverbial excuse.
- of, or having the nature of, a proverb
- expressed in a proverb
- well-known because commonly referred to: the proverbial glamour of Paris
Origin of proverbialMiddle English ; from Late Latin proverbialis
- Of the nature of a proverb.
- Expressed in a proverb.
- Widely referred to, as if the subject of a proverb; famous.
(comparative more proverbial, superlative most proverbial)
- proverb +"Ž -ial