- The definition of proverbial is something well-known or commonly referred to.
When someone always uses the same old excuse, over and over again until it becomes old news, this is an example of that person's proverbial excuse.
proverbial definition by Webster's New World
- of, or having the nature of, a proverb
- expressed in a proverb
- well-known because commonly referred to: the proverbial glamour of Paris
Origin: Middle English ; from Late Latin proverbialis
- proverbially adverb
proverbial definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of the nature of a proverb.
- Expressed in a proverb.
- Widely referred to, as if the subject of a proverb; famous.
- pro·verˈbi·al·ly adverb