- The definition of a prong is the pointed part of a fork, or a branch of something.
- One of the metal parts of an electrical plug is an example of a prong.
- An example of a prong is one of two sections into which a river divides.
- any of the pointed ends of a fork; tine
- any pointed projecting part, as the tip of an antler
Origin: L Middle English pronge, akin to Middle Low German prangen, to press, pinch, German pranger, pillory
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- A thin, pointed, projecting part: a pitchfork with four prongs.
- A branch; a fork: the two prongs of a river.
Origin: Middle English pronge, pointed instrument, pain, from Medieval Latin pronga, of Germanic origin.