- The quality or state of being prone, or of bending downward; as, the proneness of beasts is opposed to the erectness of man.
- The state of lying with the face down.
- Descent; declivity; as, the proneness of a hill.
- Inclination of mind, heart, or temper; propension; disposition; as, proneness to self-gratification.
- (state of lying face-down) supineness
Variant of prone
- lying or leaning face downward
- lying flat or prostrate; in a horizontal position
- having a natural bent; disposed or inclined (to): prone to error
- groveling; abject
- Old Poet. leaning forward or sloping downward
Origin of proneMiddle English ; from Classical Latin pronus ; from pro, before: see pro-