Preside is defined as to have control or authority.verb
An example of preside is for a judge to have control over a courtroom.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- to be in the position of authority in an assembly; serve as chairman
- to have or exercise control or authority: usually with over
- to perform as the featured instrumentalist
Origin: Fr présider < L praesidere, to preside over, protect < prae-, pre- + sedere, to sit
- presider noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
intransitive verb pre·sid·ed, pre·sid·ing, pre·sides
- To hold the position of authority; act as chairperson or president.
- To possess or exercise authority or control.
- Music To be the featured instrumental performer: presided at the keyboard.
Origin: French présider, from Old French, from Latin praesidēre : prae-, pre- + sedēre, to sit; see sed- in Indo-European roots.
- pre·sidˈer noun