- simple past tense and past participle of persecute
Persecuted is defined as harassed someone or subjected someone to hostility or bad treatment due to some factor such as race or religion.
When Hitler sent the Jews to concentration camps, this is an example of when Hitler persecuted the Jews.
- The Thirty Years War settled once for all the principle that men should not be persecuted for their religious faith.
- Hoping to gain active support from the Vatican, Ostojic renounced Bogomilism, and persecuted his former co-religionists, until the menace of an insurrection forced him to grant an amnesty.
- According to another story, her son Perseus, on his return with the head of Medusa, finding his mother persecuted by Polydectes, turned him into stone, and took Danae back with him to Argos.
- He also encouraged informers and persecuted suspects on their unsupported statements.
- He was an ardent Nonconformist, proud to number among his ancestors John Gratton, a friend of George Fox, and one of the persecuted and imprisoned preachers of the Society of Friends.