Buckingham Palace in London.
palace definition by Webster's New World
- the official residence of a king, emperor, bishop, etc.
- any large, magnificent house or building
- a large, ornate place of entertainment
Origin: Middle English palais ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin palatium, after Palatium, one of the Seven Hills of Rome, where Augustus lived
palace definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The official residence of a royal personage.
- Chiefly British The official residence of a high dignitary, such as a bishop or archbishop.
- a. A large or splendid residence.b. A large, often gaudily ornate building used for entertainment or exhibitions.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French palais, from Palātium, Palatine Hill, Rome (from its being the site where emperors built their homes), imperial residence.