- The definition of painful is something that causes pain, that hurts or that is annoying.
- An example of something painful is a large syringe.
- An example of something painful is an aching wrist.
- An example of something painful is a long, boring movie about real estate.
painful definition by Webster's New World
- causing pain; hurting; distressing
- full of or suffering with pain; aching: a painful finger
- requiring trouble and care; exacting and difficult
- annoying or tedious: a long, painful lecture
- Archaic painstaking
painful definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Causing pain.
- Full of pain.
- Requiring care and labor; irksome: a painful task.
- Archaic Diligent; careful.
- painˈful·ly adverb
- painˈful·ness noun