- The definition of painful is something that causes pain, that hurts or that is annoying.
- An example of something painful is a large syringe.
- An example of something painful is an aching wrist.
- An example of something painful is a long, boring movie about real estate.
This wrist is painful.
- causing pain; hurting; distressing
- full of or suffering with pain; aching: a painful finger
- requiring trouble and care; exacting and difficult
- annoying or tedious: a long, painful lecture
- Archaic painstaking
- Full of or giving pain: a painful shoulder; painful walking.
- a. Causing mental anguish or suffering: It was painful for him to admit he was wrong.b. Distressing or embarrassing: A painful silence followed his remark.c. Requiring care and labor; difficult or irksome: a painful way of fixing the problem.
- Marked by or requiring great care and diligence: gave the matter painful consideration.
(comparative painfuller or more painful, superlative painfullest or most painful)
- (causing pain): painless, painfree