- The definition of a pail is a round-shaped, handled container with a handle that is used for carrying liquids or other things.
An example of a pail is the container a child uses to carry sand on beach.
A blue pail.
pail definition by Webster's New World
- a more or less cylindrical container, usually with a hoop-shaped handle, for holding and carrying liquids, etc.; bucket
- the amount held by a pailalso pailful
Origin: Middle English paile ; from Old English pægel, small measure, wine vessel ; from Late Latin pagella (dim. of Classical Latin pagina, page), a small page, in Vulgar Latin a measure of area, later a measure of volume: influenced, influence by Old French paele, a pan ; from Classical Latin patella: see patella
pail definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A watertight cylindrical vessel, open at the top and fitted with a handle; a bucket.
- The amount that a pail can hold.
Origin: Middle English paile, probably from Old French paele, warming pan, perhaps from Latin patella, small pan; see paella.
- pailˈfulˌ noun