- The definition of overweening is someone who is arrogant or has excessive pride and confidence.
Someone who brags that he is the best tennis player in the world and claims he can beat all rivals when that's unlikely to be true is an example of someone who would be described as overweening.
- arrogant; excessively proud
- exaggerated; excessive
Origin of overweeningMiddle English oferweninge, present participle of oferwenen ; from Old English oferwenan: see over- and amp; ween
- Presumptuously arrogant; overbearing: had a witty but overweening manner about him.
- Excessive; immoderate: overweening ambition.
(comparative more overweening, superlative most overweening)
- Unduly confident; arrogant; presumptuous; conceited.
- She wins one modeling contest in Montana and suddenly she's overweening.
- 1870, Carl Schurz, George H. Thomas Eulogy
- No success rendered him overweening and no disaster was ever known to stagger his firmness.
- 1908, Frederic Bancroft and William A. Dunning, A Sketch of Carl Schurz's Political Career
- The Senate was displaying an overweening hauteur as if it were the government.
- Exaggerated, excessive.
- Present participle of overween.
From overween +"Ž -ing.