- The definition of meant is what was intended or indicated by an expression or action.
An example of meant is someone having waved hello.
Past tense and past participle of mean1.
- Simple past tense and past participle of mean.
Variant of mean
transitive verbmeant , meaning
- to have in mind; intend; purpose: he means to go
- to intend or design for a certain person or purpose: a gift meant for you
- to destine or seem to destine: he was meant to be a doctor
- to intend to express, signify, or indicate: to say what one means
- to be used to convey; denote: the German word “ja” means “yes”
- to be a sign, indication, or herald of; signify: this means war!
Origin of meanMiddle English menen ; from Old English mænan, to mean, tell, complain, akin to German meinen, to have in mind, have as opinion ; from Indo-European base an unverified form meino-, opinion, intent from source Old Irish mian, wish, desire
- to have a purpose or intention in mind: chiefly in , to have good intentions
- to have a (specified) degree of importance, effect, or influence: honors mean little to him
mean well by
to have good intentions or friendly, helpful feelings toward