- The definition of mapping is making a map, or a matching process where the points of one set are matched against the points of another set.
- An example of mapping is creating a map to get to your house.
- An example of mapping is identifying which cell on one spreadsheet contains the same information as the cell on another speadsheet.
mapping definition by Webster's New World
mapping definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act or process of making a map.
- Mathematics A rule of correspondence established between sets that associates each element of a set with an element in the same or another set.
mapping - Computer Definition
Variant of map
- a drawing or other representation, usually on a flat surface, of all or part of the earth's surface, ordinarily showing countries, bodies of water, cities, mountains, etc.
- a similar representation of part of the sky, showing the relative position of the stars, planets, etc.
- any maplike representation or delineation
- Slang the face
Origin: Midieval Latin mappa (mundi), map (of the world) ; from Classical Latin mappa, napkin, cloth (on which maps were painted): said (by Quintilian) to be of Punic origin, originally ; probably ; from Talmudic Hebrew mappa ; from an unverified form manpa, contr. ; from menafa, a fluttering banner
- mapper noun