- The definition of mapping is making a map, or a matching process where the points of one set are matched against the points of another set.
- An example of mapping is creating a map to get to your house.
- An example of mapping is identifying which cell on one spreadsheet contains the same information as the cell on another speadsheet.
Math. a transformation taking the points of one space into the points of the same or another space
- The act or process of making a map.
- Mathematics See function.
- Present participle of map.
mapping - Computer Definition
Variant of map
- a drawing or other representation, usually on a flat surface, of all or part of the earth's surface, ordinarily showing countries, bodies of water, cities, mountains, etc.
- a similar representation of part of the sky, showing the relative position of the stars, planets, etc.
- any maplike representation or delineation
- Slang the face
Origin of mapMedieval Latin mappa (mundi), map (of the world) ; from Classical Latin mappa, napkin, cloth (on which maps were painted): said (by Quintilian) to be of Punic origin, originally ; probably ; from Talmudic Hebrew mappa ; from an unverified form manpa, contr. ; from menafa, a fluttering banner
put on the map
to make well known
wipe off the map☆
to put out of existence