A mallet with a rubber head.
mallet definition by Webster's New World
- a kind of hammer, usually with a heavy wooden head and a short handle, for driving a chisel, etc.
- a long-handled hammer with a cylindrical wooden head, used in playing croquet
- a similar instrument, but with a longer, flexible handle, used in playing polo
- a small, light hammer, usually with a felt-covered head, used for playing a vibraphone, xylophone, etc.
Origin: Middle English malyet ; from Middle French maillet, diminutive of mail ; from Old French maile: see maul
mallet definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A short-handled hammer, usually with a cylindrical head of wood, used chiefly to drive a chisel or wedge.b. A tool with a large head, used to strike a surface without damaging it.
- Sports A long-handled implement used to strike a ball, as in croquet and polo.
- Music A light hammer with a rounded head for striking a percussion instrument.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French maillet, diminutive of mail, maul; see maul.