A hammerhead shark.
hammerhead definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the head of a hammer, specif. the part with a flat surface for striking
- any of a family (Sphyrnidae, order Carcharhiniformes) of large, tropical sharks that have a mallet-shaped head with an eye near the center of each end
- a very large African fruit bat (Hypsignathus monstrosus) with a large horselike head
- a large, brownish, crested African wading bird (Scopus umbretta) of a family (Scopidae) with only one species
hammerhead definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The head of a hammer.
- Any of several predatory sharks of the genus Sphyrna, having the sides of the head elongated into fleshy extensions with the eyes at the ends.
- A wading bird (Scopus umbretta) of Africa and southwest Asia, having brown plumage, a large bladelike bill, and a long backward-pointing crest. Also called hammerkop, umbrette.
- An African fruit bat (Hypsignathus monstrosus), the male of which has a distinctive enlarged head.