- Historical a long-handled tool with a ball, or bulb, at the end, used when heated to melt tar, heat liquids, etc.
- any of a genus (Caretta, family Cheloniidae) of sea turtles with a hard shell and a large headalso loggerhead turtle
- Dial. a stupid fellow; blockhead
Origin of loggerheaddialect, dialectal logger, heavy block of wood ( from log) + head
in disagreement; quarreling
Origin of loggerhead< sense loggerhead, ? when used as a weapon
- A loggerhead turtle.
- An iron tool consisting of a long handle with a bulbous end, used when heated to melt tar or warm liquids.
- Nautical A post on a whaleboat used to secure the harpoon rope.
- Informal A blockhead; a dolt.
Origin of loggerheadProbably dialectal logger wooden block (probably from log 1) head