A head of Romaine lettuce.
The definition of lettuce is a plant in the genus Lactuca with crispy leaves.
An example of lettuce is the primary ingredient in salads.
- any of a genus (Lactuca) of hardy, annual composite plants; specif., a plant (L. sativa) grown for its crisp, succulent, green leaves
- the leaves of such a plant, much used in salads
- Slang paper money
Origin of lettuceMiddle English letuse from Old French laituës, plural of laitue from Classical Latin lactuca from lac (gen. lactis), milk (see galactic): from its milky juice
- a. Any of various plants of the genus Lactuca of the composite family, especially L. sativa, cultivated for its edible leaves.b. The leaves of L. sativa, used especially in salads.
- Slang Paper money.
Origin of lettuceMiddle English lettuse from Old French laitues pl. of laitue from Latin lactūca from lac lact- milk (from its milky juice) ; see melg- in Indo-European roots.
(countable and uncountable, plural lettuces)
- An edible plant, Lactuca sativa and its close relatives, having a head of green and/or purple leaves.
- (uncountable) The leaves of the lettuce plant, eaten as a vegetable; as a dish often mixed with other ingredients, dressing etc.
- I'll have a ham sandwich with lettuce and tomato.
- (uncountable, US, slang) United States paper currency; dollars.