- The definition of cabbage is a vegetable with large light green or purple leaves formed into a tight head and a short thick stem.
An example of cabbage is the main ingredient in coleslaw.
A head of green cabbage.
- a common vegetable (Brassica oleracea var. capitata) of the crucifer family, with thick leaves formed into a round, compact head on a short, thick stalk: cultivated as early as 2000
- an edible bud at the end of the branch on some palm trees
- Slang paper money
Origin of cabbageMiddle English and amp; Old French caboche, earlier caboce ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
intransitive verbcabbaged, cabbaging
Origin of cabbageprobably ; from French cabasser, to put into a basket, steal ; from cabas, basket ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form capacium, reed basket
Origin of cabbageprob. < the v.
- Any of several forms of a vegetable (Brassica oleracea var. capitata) of the mustard family, having a globose head consisting of a short stem and tightly overlapping green to purplish leaves.
- Any of several similar or related plants, such as Chinese cabbage.
- The terminal bud of several species of palm, eaten as a vegetable.
- Slang Money, especially in the form of bills.
- Informal Sweetheart; dear. Used as a term of endearment.
Origin of cabbageMiddle English caboche, from Old North French, head, possibly from alteration of Latin caput; see Capital 1.
(countable and uncountable, plural cabbages)
- An edible plant (Brassica oleracea var. capitata) having a head of green leaves.
- (uncountable) The leaves of this plant eaten as a vegetable.
- Cabbage is good for you.
- (countable, offensive) A person with severely reduced mental capacities due to brain damage.
- After the car crash, he became a cabbage.
- Used as a term of endearment.
- (uncountable, slang) Cloth or clippings cabbaged or purloined by one who cuts out garments.
- (uncountable, slang) Money.
- (uncountable, slang) Marijuana leaf, the part that is not smoked but from which cannabutter can be extracted.
- The terminal bud of certain palm trees, used for food.
- The cabbage palmetto.
(third-person singular simple present cabbages, present participle cabbaging, simple past and past participle cabbaged)
- (intransitive) To form a head like that of the cabbage.
- to make lettuce cabbage
- To purloin or embezzle, as the pieces of cloth remaining after cutting out a garment; to pilfer.