- The definition of cabbage is a vegetable with large light green or purple leaves formed into a tight head and a short thick stem.
An example of cabbage is the main ingredient in coleslaw.
A head of green cabbage.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a common vegetable (Brassica oleracea var. capitata) of the crucifer family, with thick leaves formed into a round, compact head on a short, thick stalk: cultivated as early as 2000
- an edible bud at the end of the branch on some palm trees
- Slang paper money
Origin: Middle English and amp; Old French caboche, earlier caboce ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Origin: probably ; from French cabasser, to put into a basket, steal ; from cabas, basket ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form capacium, reed basket
Origin: prob. < the v.
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Any of several forms of a European vegetable (Brassica oleracea var. capitata) of the mustard family, having a globose head consisting of a short stem and tightly overlapping green to purplish leaves.
- Any of several similar or related plants, such as Chinese cabbage.
- The terminal bud of several species of palm, eaten as a vegetable.
- Slang Money, especially in the form of bills.
- Informal Sweetheart; dear. Used as a term of endearment.
Origin: Middle English caboche, from Old North French, head, possibly from alteration of Latin caput; see Capital 1.
- cabˈbag·y adjective