The definition of leadership is the position of guiding a group, or the ability to lead.
Leadership can exist in both formal and informal groups. For example:
- Formal setting (such as within a large corporation) - The leader of the group is usually someone who has been appointed to a high position of authority.
- Informal setting (such as a group of friends) - The leader is someone with personal traits that simply tend to inspire respect.
Character Traits of Leaders
- Committed to the goals of the organization
- Works well with others
- High level of knowledge and technical skills related to the task at hand
- Demonstrates originality and a long term perspective
- Focused on building strong relationships with others
- Inspires trust and confidence in other members of the group
- An example of leadership is a store manager leading the team to more sales.
- An example of leadership is the ability to take control of a situation and guide people.
leadership definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the position or guidance of a leader
- the ability to lead
- the leaders of a group
leadership definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- The position or office of a leader: ascended to the leadership of the party.
- Capacity or ability to lead: showed strong leadership during her first term in office.
- A group of leaders: met with the leadership of the nation's top unions.
- Guidance; direction: The business prospered under the leadership of the new president.
leadership - Business Definition
The American Heritage® Dictionary of Business Terms Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Upper-level management in a company.
- The influence of a person or group over others.
- See market leadership.
leadership - Investment & Finance Definition
See market leadership.