- The definition of an invitation is a request for a person's attendance at an event.
An example of an invitation is a printed card asking family and friends to come to the sender's wedding.
A party invitation.
invitation definition by Webster's New World
- an inviting to come somewhere or do something
- the message or note used in inviting
- enticement or allurement
Origin: Classical Latin invitatio ; from past participle of invitare
invitation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act of inviting.
- A spoken or written request for someone's presence or participation.
- An allurement, enticement, or attraction.
- See altar call.