- The definition of an invitation is a request for a person's attendance at an event.
An example of an invitation is a printed card asking family and friends to come to the sender's wedding.
A party invitation.
- an inviting to come somewhere or do something
- the message or note used in inviting
- enticement or allurement
Origin of invitationClassical Latin invitatio ; from past participle of invitare
- The act of inviting.
- A spoken or written request for someone's presence or participation.
- An allurement, enticement, or attraction.
- See altar call.
- The act of inviting; solicitation; the requesting of a person's company.
- an invitation to a party, to a dinner, or to visit a friend
- A document written or printed, or spoken words, conveying the message by which one is invited.
- Allurement; enticement.
- (fencing) A line that is intentionally left open to encourage the opponent to attack.