- The definition of a hymn is a religious song or song of praise, especially a song sung during Christian worship.
Amazing Grace is an example of a hymn.
An open book of hymns.
hymn definition by Webster's New World
- a song in praise or honor of God, a god, or gods
- any song of praise or glorification
Origin: Middle English ymen ; from Old English ymen and amp; Old French ymne, both ; from Late Latin (Ec) hymnus ; from Classical Greek hymnos, a hymn, festive song, ode
hymn definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A song of praise or thanksgiving to God or a deity.
- A song of praise or joy; a paean.
Origin: Middle English imne, from Old French ymne, from Latin hymnus, song of praise, from Greek humnos.