An open book of hymns.
Amazing Grace is an example of a hymn.
- a song in praise or honor of God, a god, or gods
- any song of praise or glorification
Origin of hymnMiddle English ymen from Old English ymen and Old French ymne, both from Late Latin (Ec) hymnus from Classical Greek hymnos, a hymn, festive song, ode
- A song of praise or thanksgiving to God or a deity.
- A song of praise or joy; a paean.
verbhymned, hymn·ing, hymns
Origin of hymnMiddle English imne from Old French ymne from Latin hymnus song of praise from Greek humnos
(third-person singular simple present hymns, present participle hymning, simple past and past participle hymned)
- To sing (a hymn).
- To praise or extol in hymns.
From Middle English ymne, borrowed from Old French ymne, from Latin hymnus, borrowed from Ancient Greek ὕμνος (hymnos)