alma materal·ma ma·ter
The school you graduated from is your alma mater.
- Alma mater is defined as the school that a person attended.
Harvard Law School is an example of President Barack Obama's alma mater.
- The definition of an alma mater is the song that is used to represent an educational institute.
The Harvard fight song is an example of an alma mater.
- the college or school that one attended
- its official anthem, or hymn
Origin of alma materL, fostering mother
or Al·ma Ma·ter
- The school, college, or university that one has attended.
- The anthem of an institution of higher learning.
Origin of alma materFrom Latin Alma Māter nourishing mother (epithet of certain goddesses) alma feminine of almus nourishing ; see al-2 in Indo-European roots. māter mother ; see maternal .
(plural almae matres or alma maters)