- a song or chant
- a hymn whose words are taken from the Bible, used in certain church services
- any of the three main sections of Dante's Divine Comedy
Origin of canticleMiddle English from Classical Latin canticulum, diminutive of canticum, song from cantus: see chant
- A song or chant, especially a nonmetrical hymn with words taken from a biblical text other than from the book of Psalms.
- Canticles Bible The Song of Songs.
Origin of canticleMiddle English from Latin canticulum diminutive of cantus song from past participle of canere to sing ; see kan- in Indo-European roots.
- The Psalms are not considered to be canticles