- a song or chant
- a hymn whose words are taken from the Bible, used in certain church services
- any of the three main sections of Dante's Divine Comedy
Origin of canticleMiddle English ; from Classical Latin canticulum, diminutive of canticum, song ; from cantus: see chant
- A song or chant, especially a nonmetrical hymn with words taken from a biblical text other than from the book of Psalms.
- Canticles Bible The Song of Songs.
Origin of canticleMiddle English, from Latin canticulum, diminutive of cantus, song, from past participle of canere, to sing; see kan- in Indo-European roots.
- The Psalms are not considered to be canticles