- a hymn tune, esp. in the Lutheran service, with a simple melody and rhythm
- a choral or instrumental composition based on such a tune
- a group of singers; choir or chorus
Origin of chorale; from German choral (gesang), choral (song), hymn
- A Protestant hymn melody.
- A harmonized arrangement of such a melody, especially one forming part of a larger choral or organ work.
- A chorus or choir.
Origin of choraleGerman, short for Choralgesang, choral song, translation of Medieval Latin cantus chor&amacron;lis; see choral.