chorale[kə ral′, -räl′]
chorale definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a hymn tune, esp. in the Lutheran service, with a simple melody and rhythm
- a choral or instrumental composition based on such a tune
- a group of singers; choir or chorus
Origin: ; from German choral (gesang), choral (song), hymn
chorale definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A Protestant hymn melody.
- A harmonized hymn, especially one for organ.
- A chorus or choir.
Origin: German, short for Choralgesang, choral song, translation of Medieval Latin cantus chorālis; see choral .