An example of processional used as an adjective is the phrase processional hymn which is a hymn that is sung while the choir and clergy enter the churh and walk to the front to start the service.
Origin of processionalMiddle French from Medieval Latin processionalis
- a book setting forth the ritual to be observed in church processions
- a hymn sung at the beginning of a church service during the entrance of the clergy
- any musical composition to be played during a procession
Origin of processionalME < ML processionale
- A book containing the rituals observed during a religious procession.
- Music a. A piece played or sung when the clergy enter a church at the beginning of a service.b. Music intended to be played or sung during a procession.
- Of, pertaining to, or used during a procession