- When you visit church in order to honor God, this is an example of when you glorify God.
- When cigarette companies make smoking look fun and cool, this is an example of when they glorify the use of cigarettes.
The definition of glorify is to give praise to God, or to make something seem glamorous or better.
transitive verbglorified, glorifying
- to make glorious; give glory to
- to exalt and honor (God), as in worship
- to praise extravagantly; honor; extol
- to make seem better, larger, finer, etc. than is actually the case
Origin of glorifyMiddle English glorifien ; from Old French glorifier ; from Ecclesiastical Late Latin glorificare: see glory and amp; -fy
transitive verbglo·ri·fied, glo·ri·fy·ing, glo·ri·fies
- To give glory, honor, or high praise to; exalt.
- To cause to be or seem more glorious or excellent than is actually the case: a description that glorified a cabin into a mansion.
- To give glory to, especially through worship.
Origin of glorifyMiddle English glorifien, from Old French glorefier, from Latin glōrificāre : glōria, glory + -ficāre, -fy.