A plate of corned beef hash.
hash definition by Webster's New World
- to chop (meat or vegetables) into small pieces for cooking
- Informal to make a mess or botch of; bungle
Origin: French hacher, to chop, mince: see hachure
- a chopped mixture of cooked meat and vegetables, usually baked or browned
- a mixture, as of things used before in different forms; rehash
- a hodgepodge; muddle; mess
hash definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A dish of chopped meat, potatoes, and sometimes vegetables, usually browned.
- a. A jumble; a hodgepodge.b. Informal A mess: made a hash of the project.
- A reworking or restatement of already familiar material.
- To chop into pieces; mince.
- Informal To make a mess of; mangle.
- Informal To discuss carefully; review: hash over future plans; hash out a solution.
Origin: Variant of Middle English hache, from Old French, past participle of hacher, hachier, to chop up, from hache, ax, of Germanic origin; see hatchet.
hash - Computer Definition
hash - Medical Definition
hash - Phrases/Idioms
make (a) hash ofInformal
- to bungle; botch
- to destroy or defeat (an opponent, argument, etc.)
settle someone's hash
settle (someone's) hash