olio definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
noun pl. olios
- a highly spiced stew of meat and vegetables; olla
- a collection, or miscellany, as of musical numbers
Origin: ; from Spanish olla: see olla
olio definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. o·li·os
- A heavily spiced stew of meat, vegetables, and chickpeas.
- a. A mixture or medley; a hodgepodge.b. A collection of various artistic or literary works or musical pieces; a miscellany.
- Vaudeville or musical entertainment presented between the acts of a burlesque or minstrel show.
Origin: Alteration of Spanish olla, pot; see olla.