A depiction of the Garden of Eden in stained glass.
Eden definition by Webster's New World
- Bible the garden where Adam and Eve first lived; Paradise: Gen. 2:8
- any delightful place or state; a paradise
Origin: Late Latin ; from Classical Hebrew (language) literally , delight
Eden definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Bible The garden of God and the first home of Adam and Eve. Also called Garden of Eden.
- A delightful place; a paradise.
- A state of innocence, bliss, or ultimate happiness.
Origin: Middle English, from Late Latin, from Greek Ēdēn, from Hebrew ‘ēden, delight, Eden; see ġdn in Semitic roots.
- E·denˈic adjective
, Sir (Robert) Anthony. First Earl of Avon. 1897-1977.