- People who won't work, who depend on government handouts and who try to game the system are an example of the dregs of society.
- Coffee grounds at the bottom of the coffee pot are an example of dregs.
Dregs are defined as the most worthless and most undesirable of all items, or the remnants that settle to the bottom of liquid in a container.
plural nounsing. dreg
- the particles of solid matter that settle at the bottom in a liquid; lees
- the most worthless part: the dregs of society
- [sing.] a small amount remaining; residue
Origin of dregsMiddle English dregges, plural of dregge from Old Norse dregg, barm, lees from Indo-European an unverified form dher?gh, residue: for base see dark
- The singular form dreg is far less common, but the phrase to the last dreg still has currency.