The lollipop left a sticky residue on Sean's face.
Residue is a small amount of something that is left behind.
When you peel off a tag but there is some sticky stuff left, the sticky stuff is an example of residue.
- that which is left over after part is taken away; remainder; rest
- Chem. the matter remaining at the end of a process, as after evaporation, combustion, or filtration; residual product
- Law that part of a testator's estate which is left after all claims, charges, and bequests have been satisfied
Origin of residueMiddle English from Middle French residu from Classical Latin residuum, neuter of residuus, remaining from residere: see reside
- The remainder of something after removal of parts or a part.
- a. Matter remaining after completion of an abstractive chemical or physical process, such as evaporation, combustion, distillation, or filtration; residuum.b. The part of a monomer or other chemical unit that has been incorporated into a polymer or large molecule.
- Law The remainder of a testator's estate after all specific bequests and applicable debts and expenses have been disposed of. Also called residuum .
Origin of residueMiddle English from Old French residu from Latin residuum neuter of residuus remaining from residēre to remain behind ; see reside .
- Whatever remains after something else has been removed.
- (chemistry) The substance that remains after evaporation, distillation, filtration or any similar process.
- (law) Whatever property or effects are left in an estate after payment of all debts, other charges and deduction of what is specifically bequeathed by the testator.
- (mathematics) A form of complex number.