- Slag is waste matter separated from metal during smelting.
An example of slag is the iron and silica that is removed during copper and lead smelting.
- To slag is defined as to create waste matter from metal smelting.
An example of to slag is for the heat of copper smelting to remove the iron and silica from the copper.
slag definition by Webster's New World
- the fused refuse or dross separated from a metal in the process of smelting
- lava resembling this
- Chiefly Brit., Slang
- a worthless, contemptible person
- a sexually promiscuous woman
Origin: ; from Middle Low German slagge (from source German schlacke) ; from slagen, to strike: for Indo-European base see slay
- to form into slag
- Chiefly Brit., Slang to criticize, disparage, or insult: often with off
slag definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The vitreous mass left as a residue by the smelting of metallic ore.
- See scoria.
Origin: Low German slagge, from Middle Low German.
- slagˈgy adjective
slag - Science Definition