- The definition of curt is a statement, response or reply that is very short and potentially rude.
An example of curt is when someone asks how your day was and you snap "fine!"
- Archaic short or shortened
- brief, esp. to the point of rudeness; terse or brusque: a curt reply
Origin of curtClassical Latin curtus: see short
- Rudely brief or abrupt, as in speech or manner: was curt and businesslike in the meeting; acknowledged him with a curt nod. See Synonyms at gruff.
- Terse or condensed: a curt text message.
Origin of curtMiddle English, short, brief, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin curtus; see sker-1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative curter, superlative curtest)
From the Latin curtus (“shortened”).