The definition of monosyllabic is a word with only one syllable or a person who uses short, abrupt words in conversation.adjective
- The word cat is an example of a monosyllabic word.
- A sullen teenager who only uses short words to chat with his parents is an example of someone who is monosyllabic.
- having only one syllable: a monosyllabic word
- consisting of monosyllables
- using, or speaking in, monosyllables, often so as to seem terse or uncommunicative
Origin: ML monosyllabicus
- monosyllabically adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Having only one syllable.
- Characterized by or consisting of monosyllables.
- monˌo·syl·labˈic·al·ly adverb