- The word cat is an example of a monosyllabic word.
- A sullen teenager who only uses short words to chat with his parents is an example of someone who is monosyllabic.
- having only one syllable: a monosyllabic word
- consisting of monosyllables
- using, or speaking in, monosyllables, often so as to seem terse or uncommunicative
Origin of monosyllabicMedieval Latin monosyllabicus
- Having only one syllable.
- Characterized by or consisting of monosyllables.
From Late Latin monosyllabicus, from Latin monosyllabus, from Hellenistic Ancient Greek Î¼Î¿Î½Î¿ÏƒÏÎ»Î»Î±Î²Î¿Ï‚ (monosullabos).