monosyllabic[män′ō si lab′ik, män′ə-]
- The definition of monosyllabic is a word with only one syllable or a person who uses short, abrupt words in conversation.
- The word cat is an example of a monosyllabic word.
- A sullen teenager who only uses short words to chat with his parents is an example of someone who is monosyllabic.
- having only one syllable: a monosyllabic word
- consisting of monosyllables
- using, or speaking in, monosyllables, often so as to seem terse or uncommunicative
Origin of monosyllabicMedieval Latin monosyllabicus
- Having only one syllable.
- Characterized by or consisting of monosyllables.