A tree lined boulevard in Germany.
The definition of a boulevard is a wide street often lined with trees.
An example of a boulevard is the Champs Èlysèes in Paris, France.
⌂ a broad, well-made street, often one lined with trees, grass plots, etc.
Origin of boulevardFr, origin, originally , top surface of a military rampart ; from Middle Dutch bolwerc, bulwark
- A broad city street, often tree-lined and landscaped.
- Upper Midwest See boulevard strip.
- Chiefly Midwestern US See median.
Origin of boulevardFrench, from Old French bollevart, rampart converted to a promenade, from Middle Dutch bolwerc, bulwark; see bulwark.
- A broad, well-paved and landscaped thoroughfare.
- The landscaping on the sides of a boulevard or other thoroughfare.