- The definition of a thoroughfare is a main road or a road that connects two places.
The main street that takes you from one end of town to the other is an example of a thoroughfare.
thoroughfare definition by Webster's New World
- a way through or passage through
- a public street open at both ends; esp., such a street through which there is much traffic; highway; main road
Origin: Middle English thurghfare: see through and amp; fare
thoroughfare definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A main road or public highway.
- a. A place of passage from one location to another.b. Right to such passage.
- A heavily traveled passage, such as a waterway, strait, or channel.
Origin: Middle English thurghfare : thurgh, thorow, through; see Thorough + fare, road (from Old English faru, fǽr, from faran, to go; see fare).