- a reel or spool for thread or yarn, used in spinning, weaving, machine sewing, etc.
- a small notched pin of wood, bone, or ivory, used in making bobbin lace
Origin of bobbinFrench bobine from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- A spool or reel that holds thread or yarn for spinning, weaving, knitting, sewing, or making lace.
- Narrow braid formerly used as trimming.
Origin of bobbinFrench bobine
- A spool or cylinder around which wire is coiled.
- In a sewing machine, the small spool that holds the lower thread.
- Wind the bobbin, place it in the machine, and raise the thread.
- The little rounded piece of wood at the end of a latch string, which is pulled to raise the latch.
- (haberdashery) A fine cord or narrow braid.
From French bobine, recorded in English since 1530