noun pl. authorities
- the power or right to give commands, enforce obedience, take action, or make final decisions; jurisdiction
- the position of one having such power: a person in authority
- such power as delegated to another; authorization; warrant: he has my authority to do it
- power or influence resulting from knowledge, prestige, etc.
- the citation of a writing, decision, etc. in support of an opinion, action, etc.
- the writing, etc. cited
- reliability of a source or witness
- persons, esp. in government, having the power or right to enforce orders, laws, etc.
- a government agency that administers a project
- a person with much knowledge or experience in some field, whose information or opinion is hence reliable; expert
- self-assurance and expertness that come with experience: the pianist's performance lacked authority
ME autorite < OFr autorité, auctorité < L auctoritas < auctor, author