Servitude is the state of being completely submissive to and controlled by someone more powerful.
When a person caters to every whim and need of another, this person is an example of someone who would be described as in servitude.
- the condition of a slave, serf, or the like; subjection to a master; slavery or bondage
- work imposed as punishment for crime
- Law the burden placed upon the property of a person by a specified right another has in its use
Origin of servitudeMiddle English ; from Middle French ; from Classical Latin servitudo ; from servus, slave: see serf
- a. A state of subjection to an owner or master.b. Lack of personal freedom, as to act as one chooses.
- Forced labor imposed as a punishment for crime: penal servitude in labor camps.
- Law An easement.
Origin of servitudeMiddle English, from Old French, from Late Latin servit&umacron;d&omacron;, from Latin servus, slave.