- An example of augury is a priest explaining a divine act.
- An example of an augury might be the flight patterns of birds.
The definition of augury is the practice of clairvoyancy by a prophet or oracle, or is a sign or harbinger of things to happen in the future.
- divination from omens
- pl. -·ries an omen; portent; indication
Origin of auguryMiddle English augurie from Classical Latin augurium, divination from augur, augur
- The art, ability, or practice of auguring; divination.
- A sign of something coming; an omen: “The chartist buys when the auguries look favorable and sells on bad omens” ( Burton G. Malkiel )
Origin of auguryMiddle English augurie from Old French from Latin augurium from augur augur ; see augur .