- The definition of appeasement is the act of giving something to an aggressive power to keep the peace.
An example of appeasement is the act of giving a dog some food from your plate in order to stop her begging.
appeasement definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an appeasing or being appeased
- the policy of giving in to the demands of a hostile or aggressive power in an attempt to keep the peace
appeasement definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. An act of appeasing.b. The condition of being appeased.
- The policy of granting concessions to potential enemies to maintain peace.