- Anesthetic is defined as being able to produce anesthesia.
Novocaine is an example of an anesthetic gas.
- The definition of an anesthetic is a substance that produces anesthesia.
Novocaine is an example of an anesthetic.
- relating to, with, or characterized by anesthesia
- producing anesthesia
Origin of anestheticfrom Classical Greek anaisth?tos + -ic
- Relating to or resembling anesthesia.
- Causing anesthesia.
- An agent that causes loss of sensation with or without the loss of consciousness.
- Something likened to this in effect: For some people watching television is an anesthetic for the mind.
Origin of anestheticFrom Greek anaisthētos without feeling an- without ; see a- 1. aisthētos perceptible ( from aisthanesthai to feel ; see anesthesia . )
(comparative more anesthetic, superlative most anesthetic)
- Causing the reduction of pain sensitivity.
From Greek anaisthetos insensible.