- not sensitive; esp., incapable of being impressed, influenced, or affected; having little or no reaction (to)
- having or showing a lack of concern for the feelings of others; tactless
The definition of insensitive is unaware or showing little or no regard for other people's feelings and emotions.
When you show little concern for what others are going through, this is an example of a situation where you are insensitive.
- Not physically sensitive; numb.
- a. Lacking in sensitivity to the feelings or circumstances of others; unfeeling.b. Indifferent or inattentive: insensitive to the needs of the customers.
- Not readily responsive to external influence or stimulation: a commodity price that is insensitive to fluctuations in demand.
- in·sen′si·tiv′i·ty in·sen′si·tive·ness
(comparative more insensitive, superlative most insensitive)
in- + sensitive
- Ending a relationship isn't easy for either person, but the good news is that there are ways that you can break the news to your girlfriend without seeming insensitive.
- Don't be so insensitive, David.
- I don't mean to be insensitive, but I was so busy today that I didn't eat lunch.
- Sure, he was insensitive, but how many sixteen year olds sneak out to drink?
- This bending part has been proved to be insensitive to the stimuli.