- The definition of afford means to be able to do or have something without negative consequences occurring as a result.
An example of afford is being able to go on a vacation while still having enought money to pay bills for the home.
afford definition by Webster's New World
- to have enough or the means for; bear the cost of without serious inconvenience: used with can or be able: I'm not able to afford a car; can you afford the time?
- to manage (to do something) without risking serious consequences: used with can: I can afford to speak frankly
- to give; furnish: music affords her pleasure
Origin: Middle English aforthen ; from Old English geforthian, to advance ; from forthian, to further
afford definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb af·ford·ed, af·ford·ing, af·fords
- To have the financial means for; bear the cost of: not able to afford a new car.
- To manage to spare or give up: can't afford an hour for lunch.
- To manage or bear without disadvantage or risk to oneself: can afford to be tolerant.
- To make available; provide: a sport affording good exercise; a tree that affords ample shade.
Origin: Middle English aforthen, from Old English geforthian, to carry out : ge-, perfective pref.; see yclept + forthian, to further (from forth, forth, forward; see per1 in Indo-European roots).