- The definition of abridge is to reduce or condense the size or scope.
An example of abridge is to shorten a novel to record it as an audio book.
abridge definition by Webster's New World
- to reduce in scope, extent, etc.; shorten
- to shorten (a piece of writing) while preserving its substance; condense
- to lessen or curtail (rights, authority, etc.)
- Rare to deprive (a person) of rights, privileges, etc.
Origin: Middle English abregen ; from Old French abregier ; from Late Latin abbreviare, abbreviate
abridge definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb a·bridged, a·bridg·ing, a·bridg·es
- To reduce the length of (a written text); condense.
- To cut short; curtail. See Synonyms at shorten.
Origin: Middle English abregen, from Old French abregier, from Late Latin abbreviāre, to shorten; see abbreviate.
- a·bridgˈer noun
abridge - Legal Definition
- To diminish, lessen, or restrict a legal right.
- To condense or shorten the whole of something, such as a book, and not merely a portion of it.