- in a true manner; accurately, genuinely, faithfully, factually, etc.
- really; indeed: often used as an interjection of surprise, confirmation, etc.
- sincerely: used in the formal complimentary close of a letter: yours truly, very truly yours
- rightfully; legally
Truly is defined as faithfully, sincerely, legally or truthfully.
An example of truly used as an adverb is in the phrase "truly sorry," which means really sorry.
- Sincerely; genuinely: We are truly sorry for the inconvenience.
- Truthfully; accurately: reported the matter truly.
- Indeed: truly ugly.
- Properly: not truly civilized.
(comparative more truly, superlative most truly)
From true +"Ž -ly.
- She truly wanted to help him.
- They seemed to truly care for each other.
- I'll truly miss you.
- I truly felt I'd hear from Martha again.
- Truly, we are deep thinkers, we are ambitious spirits!