- a wax candle, esp. a long, slender one
- a long wick coated with wax, used for lighting candles, lamps, etc.
- any feeble light
- a gradual decrease in width or thickness: the taper of a pyramid
- a gradual decrease in action, power, etc.
- something that tapers
Origin of taperMiddle English from Old English tapur, probably by dissimilation from Classical Latin papyrus (see paper): from use of papyrus pith as wick
- to decrease gradually in width or thickness
- to lessen; diminish
- to become smaller gradually toward one end
- to diminish or stop gradually